Welcome to the latest edition of the monthly PHE Statistics bulletin.
PHE Statistics is a summary of the latest official statistics releases published by PHE, arranged by topic. The bulletin will also feature any recent ad hoc statistical publications.
Bulletins will routinely be published on the first Tuesday of each month or as soon as possible afterwards.
Select a link to view the website content for that item.
Ad-hoc statistical publications during this period
These slide sets present the latest data on child obesity from the National Child Measurement Programme at upper tier local authority, regions and England. The national slide set for England also includes data from the Health Survey for England. Trends in child overweight and obesity are shown and patterns are examined by age, sex, ethnic group, and area deprivation.
Analysis of the characteristics of children age 2 and 3 years who have had their development assessed using the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3) at age 2 to 2.5 years.
The analysis gives further detail to that available from the child development outcomes at 2 to 2.5 years metrics, which are produced routinely by Public Health England (PHE) based on data from the interim national reporting system for children’s public health 0 to 5 years. Data from the interim national reporting system is available in the early years section of the child and maternal health profiles in PHE’s Fingertips tool.
Summary of norovirus and rotavirus laboratory surveillance and enteric virus outbreaks in hospital and community settings in England during 2020 to 2021 season.
The CHIME tool brings together data relating to the direct impacts of COVID-19, such as on mortality rates and hospital admissions.
By presenting inequality breakdowns, including by age, sex, ethnic group, level of deprivation and region, the tool provides a single point of access to:
· show how inequalities have changed during the course of the pandemic and what the current cumulative picture is
· bring together data in one tool to enable users to access and utilise the intelligence more easily
· provide indicators with a consistent methodology across different datasets to facilitate understanding
· support users to identify and address inequalities within their areas and identify priority areas for recovery
Sequencing of confirmed COVID-19 cases via test sites and home testing of postcodes included in surge testing operations.
Data on the real-world effectiveness and impact of the COVID-19 vaccines.
General public health
This update contains data from 151 local authorities for October to December 2020 (quarter 3 for 2020 to 2021) and cumulative data from 1 April 2016 to 31 December 2020.
This update contains data from 151 local authorities for January to March 2021 (quarter 4 for 2020 to 2021) and cumulative data from 1 April 2016 to 31 March 2021. The cumulative data also includes amended statistics for 50 local authorities for April to September 2020 (quarter 1 and quarter 2 for 2020 to 2021).
Alcohol, tobacco and drug use
The LAPE interactive tool presents a range of alcohol-related indicators and allows users to view and analyse data in a user-friendly format.
The aim of the profile is to provide information for local government, health organisations, commissioners and other agencies to monitor the impact of alcohol on local communities, and to monitor the services and initiatives that have been put in place to prevent and reduce the harmful impact of alcohol.
This release includes new data for the following indicators:
· percentage of adults who abstain from drinking alcohol
· percentage of adults binge drinking on heaviest drinking day
· percentage of adults drinking over 14 units of alcohol a week
· incidence rate of alcohol-related cancer
The extent of tobacco use, tobacco related harm and the measures being taken to reduce this harm at a local level in England.
These profiles have been designed to help local government and health services to assess the effect of tobacco use on their local populations. The data are presented in an interactive tool that allows users to view them in a user-friendly format.
This update contains:
· smoking attributable mortality (new method)
· smoking attributable deaths from heart disease (new method)
· smoking attributable deaths from stroke (new method)
· smoking attributable deaths from cancer (new method)
· smoking attributable hospital admissions (new method)
Estimated proportion of all malignant cancers where patients first presented as an emergency.
Data estimates are for all malignant cancers (excluding non-melanoma skin cancer) and are at Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) level, with England as a whole for comparison.
Weekly excess mortality in England broken down by age, sex, geographical areas, ethnic group, level of deprivation, cause of death and place of death.
Excess mortality by English region; broken down by age, sex, upper tier local authority, ethnic group, level of deprivation, cause of death and place of death.
National monitoring tool that brings together metrics to assess the wider impacts of coronavirus (COVID-19) on health.
The monitoring tool collates metrics across a range of wider impacts to provide stakeholders with a single point of access. This will enable stakeholders to:
- monitor changes over time or against an agreed point in time
- make timely, informed decisions
- intervene early to mitigate against poor outcomes
- understand the wider context on population health
End of life care
The directly age standardised mortality rates and percentage of all deaths indicators (mortality domain) have been updated with 2019 data for England, clinical commissioning groups, sustainability and transformation partnerships, strategic clinical networks and government regions.
- March 2021 annual data for the Estimated Dementia Diagnosis Rate indicator in the diagnosis domain of the tool
- May 2021 monthly data for health geographies in the Wider Impact of Covid19 on Health – Dementia Surveillance Factsheets via reports section of the tool
Health surveillance and reporting programmes, infectious diseases and immunisation
UK quarterly data and commentary on coverage achieved by the UK childhood immunisation programme.
Seasonal flu vaccine uptake
Public Health England publishes overviews each year of influenza surveillance results from the winter period.
Report on the uptake of influenza vaccine in children of school years reception to year 7 during the 2020 to 2021 influenza vaccination programme in England.
Report on the uptake of influenza vaccine in eligible GP patient groups during the 2020 to 2021 influenza vaccination programme in England.
Report on the uptake of seasonal influenza vaccine in frontline healthcare workers (HCWs) during the 2020 to 2021 influenza vaccination programme in England.
Healthcare associated infection (HCAI):
- Trends in meticillin resistant (MRSA) and meticillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA), Gram-negative bacteraemia and Clostridioides difficile (CDI) infection. Data up to October to December 2020.
Healthcare associated infections (HCAI) monthly data updates:
- MRSA bacteraemia: monthly data by location of onset and NHS organisation
- MSSA bacteraemia: monthly data by location of onset and NHS organisation
- E. coli bacteraemia: monthly data by location of onset and NHS organisation
- P. aeruginosa bacteraemia: monthly data by location of onset and NHS organisation
- Klebsiella species bacteraemia: monthly data by location of onset and NHS organisation
- Clostridiodies difficile infection: monthly data by prior trust exposure and NHS organisation
Weekly infectious disease surveillance data updates:
National influenza and COVID-19 report, monitoring COVID-19 activity, seasonal flu and other seasonal respiratory illnesses.
How the actual number and type of death registrations in England and Wales compare to predictions for each week.