Content originally from Clacton Gazette
Workers at Chetwood Family Hub, in South Woodham Ferrers, were left in shock after discovering doors had been smashed and outside facilities vandalised overnight.
Spokesman Zoe Oddy said: “Our cleaner was the first to arrive and discovered the damage on Monday. The police have been informed.
“The team are disappointed because Chetwood was about to be the next Family Hub in Essex to re-open its doors after we’d worked hard to ensure it was Covid-secure.
“There will be a slight delay now while we undertake a big clean-up, replace furniture and toys, and make sure everything is safe again for service users to enter.”
This is an unpleasant set-back, but we’re determined to get this site re-opened quickly so children and families in the South Woodham Ferrers area can continue to benefit from what we offer
Nikki Tapner, team leader for Maldon at Essex Child and Family Wellbeing Service, is leading the repair job.
She said: “This is where we work every day and where families know they can come to for support and it’s a really positive place for us all. It is so sad to see the damage that was caused.”
MD Richard Comerford added: “This is an unpleasant set-back, but we’re determined to get this site re-opened quickly so children and families in the South Woodham Ferrers area can continue to benefit from what we offer.
“During lockdown, we have continued to support local families as best we can, but we are keen to get back to running services as we have in the past and we won’t let this incident stop that from happening.
“We look forward to opening our doors again.”
The centre is now expected to re-open on September 7.